The Hulls Cove Schoolhouse, an historic structure built in 1909, is now a community center, is located in Hulls Cove, a village within Bar Harbor on Mount Desert Island, Maine. Mount Desert Island is a resort area with Acadia National Park being the principal attraction.
The Schoolhouse is used today for wedding receptions, dances, community suppers, and other various community group events.
The present Schoolhouse, now listed on both the Maine Register of Historic Places and the United States National Register of Historic Places, was constructed in 1909 to replace a smaller schoolhouse erected in 1863 by Captain Jonathan Ignatius Stevens, who also donated the land. Jonathan Stevens also established a trust fund that for many years provided each child in the Hulls Cove village of Bar Harbor with a small cash Christmas present.
The private, non-profit Hulls Cove Neighborhood Association was incorporated in 1947 for social and educational purposes and subsequently acquired the Hulls Cove Schoolhouse, which was then no longer used as a school, from the Town of Bar Harbor. The Association was formed to oversee the use of the old Schoolhouse as a social center for the village of Hulls Cove. A board of directors governs the association and sets policy for the use and occupancy of the Schoolhouse premises.
In 1997 The Board of Directors undertook a campaign to begin restoration of the Schoolhouse as it had suffered significant deterioration over the years. Windows were repaired, shingles on the roof and exterior walls were replaced, interior walls and ceilings were re-plastered, new appliances were installed in the kitchen, and the beautiful hardwood floor was re-finished. A handicap ramp has been added. Two restrooms on the lower level have been refurbished and made handicap compliant. A handicap accessible restroom is also available on the main level. Renovations are still needed and interested parties can help support the effort by donations or volunteer work.